Why Do I Need Braces?
Braces effectively correct a patient’s smile, regardless of their age. A beautiful smile is the most obvious benefit of braces, but braces also improve a patient’s bite, chew, and overall oral health. Once the braces come off, patients feel more self-confident. During treatment, we want our patients to feel as comfortable as possible.
By placing a constant, gentle force in a carefully controlled direction, braces slowly move teeth to a corrected position. Early treatment is the best treatment. Thanks to various technology improvements, patients can:
- Choose between metal, ceramic, or plastic braces
- Use removable braces or brackets bonded to the teeth
- Choose bracket and tie colors
- Enjoy less noticeable wires, and more comfortable materials
- Request clear braces
Treatment time typically ranges from one to three years, depending on the growth of the patient’s mouth and face and the severity of the problem.
- Patients grow at different rates and will respond variously to orthodontic treatment, so the time to case completion may differ from the original estimate.
- The patient’s diligent use of any prescribed rubber bands or headgear is an important factor in achieving the most efficient treatment.
- Interceptive, or early treatment procedures, may take as few as six months.